Halton Police show off their PRIDE Cruiser

Halton Police Pride Vehicle 2015, Town of Oakville
Halton Police show off their PRIDE Cruiser

About the Author

Chantal Corner

Chantal Corner

Sergeant Chantal Corner is the Media Relations Officer for the Halton Regional Police Department. She grew up in Oakville and graduated from Loyola. She still resides in Oakville.

Latest posts (See all)

Upper Oakville Shopping Centre Christmas Promotion 2016 Breakfast with Santa

As we are two weeks away from PRIDE week in Toronto, the Halton Regional Police is proud to celebrate our diverse LGBTQ+ community and are excited to support and participate in the Pride Parade with a newly decorated police SUV.

The Halton Regional Police Service has built strong partnerships with our LGBTQ+ communities within Halton and in particular, with Marcus Logan, Supervisor, LGBTQ+ Education and Support Services for the Positive Space Network in Halton as well as the Reach Out Centre for Kids (R.O.C.K.)

On Sunday June 28, 2015, a significant number of service members will be attending the PRIDE parade to march alongside our decorated cruiser. We look forward to joining many other police and emergency services, coming together to support, encourage and promote inclusivity for our LGBTQ+ community.

In addition, our PRIDE cruiser will also be featured at the Halton pride event that is scheduled to take place on Saturday August 15, 2015 at Central Park in the City of Burlington.

“My long standing partnership and collaborative relationship with the Halton Regional Police Service is one that I am sincerely proud of. The PRIDE cruiser is more than a gesture of inclusion; this is a visible commitment to the ongoing diversity and inclusion work both our agencies are doing together in Halton.” says Logan. “I remember the first time we saw the pride flags flying across Halton, it was such a hopeful and moving sight. The PRIDE cruiser has evoked those feelings in me once again and I am sure that our LGBTQ+ youth and families and allies will experience the same when they see the PRIDE cruiser in their community.” – Logan

Let’s all celebrate the unique spirit and culture of all our communities in Halton. Coming together to support and celebrate each other’s differences, strengthen the sense of community and will in turn contribute to the vibrancy, health and overall happiness of each and every one of us in Halton.

We look forward to promoting PRIDE week and will be utilizing the PRIDE cruiser at different events around the Region, so be on the look out Halton.

Subscribe for FREE and STAY informed with OakvilleNews.Org

Tags:

, , , , , , , , ,

Readers Comments (21)

1. Lyndsay says:

This is SO Awesome!!! Makes me proud to live in Halton. <3 I love our inclusive society.

2. peterj says:

That should make Wynne proud but I see it more like promoting mental illness. Did any officer actually volunteer to drive that tribute to the wonderful world of everything gay, or is he/she being punished ? Non politically correct closed minded inquiring minds want to know.

• m says:

@peterj; non politically correct closed minded minds completely agree with you, and love the “mental illness” term to describe this insanity.

3. marc says:

Yuck.

• m says:

yuck indeed. Why don’t more people speak up against this? There are more of us than the bully liberals want to think there are.

4. Colonialista says:

So, does the driver to that tribute to the wonderful world of everything gay volunteered or are they being punished? Will that car be used to stop people with moral standards or Christians ? How about Muslims ?

5. John McLaughlin says:

A rainbow looks cool – no different than a daffodil, a pink ribbon or any other symbol affixed to a vehicle. There should be no politics behind any symbol, however.

• m says:

There should be no politics behind the police force, it should be neutral and behave as such.

6. Jenni says:

What is wrong with you nay-sayers? I thought the Canada I was born in was supposed to be a place where we all respect each other equally, even if it’s not something we personally understand. I love what the vehicle represents, the rest of you make me ashamed.

• peterj says:

You seem to be missing a point here. How about a Christian cross or a Muslim crescent painted on a police car ? Perhaps pride in traditional marriage painted down the side ? Liberal,Ndp or Conservative symbols ? Black lives matter ? Support the oil industry ? The point being that police and all it represents should be neutral to serve all citizens and the gay agenda still offends a good portion of the public. Police should never become political or offend one portion of the public to please another.

• Jenni says:

If you think there’s a similarity between all the groups and causes you name, then you’re kinda the one who missed the point. I hope you’re just being a troll, b/c I can’t imagine a real person typing all that and considering that a serious convincing argument.

Here is the point. A police force that shows public support for ANY non-political group targeted by bullies or hate crime (gays, women, muslim, black (& their lives DO matter, btw), whoever…) is a police force I can trust and respect. Neutral doesn’t mean you stand silent and watch others get kicked down cause you’re too scared to offend anyone. It means sometimes you use events to show people who are discriminated against (in this case, PRIDE week and LGBQT people) that you put them on the same level as everyone else (old white people).

It’s a lot better than in US where heavily armed police show their agenda by dealing with the people you show the same disrespect for with deadly choke holds or raiding their pool parties with guns out, doing barrel rolls.

So ya, some opinions here from people in Oakville for this article in 2015 still make me ashamed. But I’ll get over it long b4 the event is over and the car loses the stickers in 3 weeks.

• peterj says:

Notice that we have two different view points on this subject and you are defending your view ? I see it differently. That’s probably the norm across Halton because it is a divisive subject. Could have easily been avoided by the Police not endorsing either side. If the subject were one you strongly disagreed with but endorsed by the Police you would also see it differently. Needless to say, you are entitled to your opinion , but it’s only a opinion and many would disagree.

• Jenni says:

Notice that you keep defending your positions (like gay=mental illness, and earlier snark about black lives) with a person who you otherwise would never meet, like never ever in real life? Because these stickers exist, that dialogue was started. Public discussion of issues is a good thing.

Maybe others will read all this and see both sides in new ways. Maybe some people will read your opinion as a bigoted and out of place, like i did, and realize that they don’t want to identify with that type of person or thinking. Or maybe they’ll dismiss me, which happens when people realize I am young.

Also, showing support is not endorsing: I support my muslim friends’ right for religion although I could never endorse the religion itself because of how I personally react, or get triggered, in the way I think they treat their women. Supporting the rights and endorsing the practice are two different things.

You are likely older than me, and I will grow and raise a family, i hope, that will understand that there’s room for all kinds of people at the party, just so long as they do no harm. And that generation will grow and spread that message long after opinions like yours wind up buried on the wrong side of history.

I’m done feeding the trolls by responding, but keep adding to this thread if you want, I’m giving you one small victory of getting the last word here in this space. This story will be forgotten in a few weeks, but by benefit of age, I’ll always have the last word in the real world.

• m says:

Jenni, nothing is wrong with us.

We are a combination of the following:

A) we dont agree with homosexuality
      B) we dont agree with PROMOTING homosexuality
      c) we dont agree with pushing the homosexuality agenda beyond the absurd
      D) we believe the police force should be NEUTRAL and not playing to special interest groups.

You are naive, and unfortunately have grown up being told that being “nice” = open minded, and being open minded means accepting everything, and if you are not that, then you are a monster and a social outcast for having an opinion different than what the media and mainstream is telling you to have.

Some of us (Are not much older than you), and can take a step back and say “wait a second…. these relationships are NOT natural, and not right, and if a few people have it, then too bad for them, but lets not promote it and celebrate it and lets maintain some basic society standards”.

I am not much older than you, and I am ok with standing up and giving an opinion that might not be “cool”.

7. John McLaughlin says:

Jenni, you advocate for tolerance and new ideas, which I think is a good idea.

However, if somebody doesn’t agree with your “idea” or opinion – you label their thinking or idea as “wrong”.

There shouldn’t be politics behind policing – isn’t that the point.

• m says:

bleeding heart liberals LOVE pushing the concept that if you don’t agree with them you are ‘wrong’.

No matter what side of the homosexual argument (or liberal argument) you sit, if you are fair and take a step back, you can see that liberals are very vicious in how they think, you are with them or you are a monster.

8. ron says:

Not sure why police would have to endorse the sexual preferences of people? They don’t endorse heterosexual, Catholic, or other beliefs which cause controversy. Tolerance for other beliefs should be understood now in 2015, but an endorsement on our police vehicles is not really needed. Plain Bk/Wh cruisers makes a statement, rainbows on those cruisers, why not a huge Canadian “we are straight” flag on the other side?

• m says:

I personally would LOVE to see a ‘heterosexual’ police cruiser.

How can we make that happen?

9. Tim says:

What the hell is next, advertising space? Why are the police, who are supposedly meant to enforce our laws with equality showing favouritism to a select group? And who paid for this?… every one! I don’t know who the idiotic moron was who approved this was, but they need to give their head shake. Because now, just about every special interest group is going to demand that theirs be displayed also. It’s amazing what politicians do without any fore thought.

10. m says:

@tim …. yes!!! WHY are we wasting money on this??

And WHAT does policing have to do with supporting special interest groups?

HOW did this get approved?

11. Adam says:

I saw this on the road today, and after looking up why our police force are suddenly driving rainbow logos, remembered back to when they wanted “support our troops” ribbons. They got hate for it. They got flak for having a stance on something. I have no opinion either way on who people support, but why is it that when it’s about supporting our troops, the police should stay out of it, but because sexuality is the topic of the day, it’s ok for the cops to take a side? Police should always remain neutral, and out of politics.

%d bloggers like this: