Tuesday, June 7, 2016 6:00 am ·  0 Comments
By Gary Carr
On June 1, Halton Region introduced the Older Adults Property Tax Deferral Program to help eligible older adults with low incomes living in Halton stay in their homes and communities. The program will enable participants to defer the full value of their annual property taxes, interest free, helping them manage the rising costs of home ownership.
The Older Adults Property Tax Deferral Program will help participants focus their resources on staying healthy and independent in our community. Halton Region is committed to enhancing the health and well-being of residents of all ages through its programs and services. This program will help improve the overall quality of life for its participants by giving them more financial freedom to live healthy, active lives.
- You are aged 65 or older,
- You own a home in Halton region (that must have been the principal residence of at least one of the registered owners for the last 4 years),
- Together with the other registered owners of the property, you had a combined gross annual income (before tax) of less than $44,800,
- You are not participating in any other property tax deferral or rebate programs offered by Halton Region or your Town/City, and
- You have paid your property taxes from previous years in full.
Regional Staff developed the program in close partnership with its Local Municipalities: The City of Burlington, Town of Halton Hills, Town of Milton and Town of Oakville. The Local Municipalities will run the program in their communities, accepting and processing applications from residents starting on July 1, 2016. They will also provide the deferral to applicants who meet the eligibility criteria through an interest-free loan between the Local Municipality and the participant.
The Region will update the income threshold for eligibility on an annual basis and cover the cost of keeping the deferral interest free. It offers comprehensive program details, including an eligibility and calculator tool, on its website.