In the last 7 years did your income grow by 42%: Oakville’s Budget Did!

Who is responsible for your property tax increases?

Scrabble pieces spelling taxes
In the last 7 years did your income grow by 42%: Oakville’s Budget Did!
Kerr Street Cafe
Advertisement

About the Author

Nolan A Machan

Nolan A Machan

Nolan Machan is the Publisher of OakvilleNews.Org and has over 41 years of local Oakville knowledge. He is committed to providing Oakville residents with the most up-to-date information about our great town.

Latest posts (See all)

Downtown Oakville TD Songs Summer Concert Music August 19 2017
Advertisement

Doing a quick, informal survey, it appears that a number of people don’t realize that their property taxes are paying for the Town of Oakville’s Budget and Oakville’s portion of Halton Region’s budget and Boards of Education’s budgets. This is an important fact to keep in mind. It helps to determine who is accountable for increases to your property taxes.

Oakville’s budget makes up 39% of your property tax bill in 2014. Halton Region and education boards make up the remaining 61%. So in this election period there has been much discussion about property taxes.

On one side of the debate is Rob Burton who indicates that Oakville’s property tax increases are at or below inflation. The Mayor’s statements are correct that Oakville’s property taxes are at or below inflation.

Total property tax increases which is created by blending the town, region & education budgets from 2008 to 2014.
2008 = 2.7%
2009 = 1.82%
2010 = 1.6%
2011 = 2.79%
2012 = 2.93%
2013 = 1.47%
2014 = 0.83%

On the other side is John McLaughlin who is stating that Oakville’s portion of our property tax has gone up 40 percent since Mr. Burton became Mayor in 2006.

So I’ve reviewed Oakville’s budget increases since 2008, which shows that the town of Oakville’s budget has in fact grown by 42% compounded annually. Our population since 2008 has grown by 6.99%. The inflation rate from 2008 to now has grown by 12.42%. The Region of Halton’s Budget has stayed stable at zero for the past four years, and the Boards of Education’s budgets was at zero for 2014. So it appears the only thing growing in your property taxes is the portion payable to the town of Oakville.

Town Budget’s increases from 2008 to 2014

2008 = 8.3%
2009 = 5.11%
2010 = 4.5%
2011 = 5.93
2012 = 6.55%
2013 = 3.01%
2014 = 2.7%

Total simple increase in the town’s portions of property tax since 2008 is 36% and the compounded rate is 42%.

Canadian Inflation Rate from 2008 to 2014.
2008 = 2.37%
2009 = 0.31%
2010 = 1.78%
2011 = 2.91%
2012 = 1.52%
2013 = 0.94%
2014 = 2.00%

So when you vote on October 27, 2014, give a little thought to who is the person that best can represent your interests.

Alanon Alateen Oakville Ontario Effects of Alcoholism Family Chaos Help
Advertisement

Tags:

, , , , , , ,


Readers Comments (7)

  1. Mr. Burton might need a math tutor.

     Reply
    • The numbers do not lie – Oakville taxpayers have been paying lots and not getting lots. Over the past four years, the average Oakville household has seen their property tax bill rise by 20% – although that is not a figure you will have heard from anyone on Town Council. Linda Nazareth, Candidate for Town Council, Ward 5 Oakville

       Reply
  2. John Fosetr says:

    The real deal on what’s been happening to taxes in Oakville. It’s sad that our Council, elected to represent us, spreads franken numbers to cover it up.

     Reply
  3. AP says:

    OH NO! Stuff might get paid for! When I look around town and see things like efficient snow removal, and continual improvements to parks and public spaces, I see money well-spent.

     Reply
  4. F. Travis says:

    Burton keeps his dogs on a tight leash…

    Burton: “Forget the facts and just say triple AAA over and over again”

    His incumbent followers: “Whatever you say, as long as I get paid!”

     Reply
  5. John McLaughlin says:

    It’s not a question of “spending”, it’s a question of “over-spending” – which then results in higher property taxes.

     Reply



Please note: Comment moderation is enabled and may delay your comment. There is no need to resubmit your comment.

%d bloggers like this: