Tuesday, March 18, 2014 7:53 am ·  0 Comments
By Allan Elgar
On March 19 the Town is hosting a public information meeting regarding the potential development of the Merton Lands. This large swath of greenspace (578 acres) includes Saw-whet golf course, Deerfield golf course and Fourteen Mile Creek.I am strongly against even considering development in this area for a number of reasons:
· Oakville has already met Provincially-mandated growth targets in its Official Plan – you can see the rapid development happening north of Dundas. Do we really need to sacrifice even more of our precious greenspace?
· we have not budgeted for any additional growth.
· the environmental studies which will be used to determine which areas can be developed on Saw-whet were done by the development industry! Does that sound like a good idea to you?
· if Saw-whet and Deerfield are given the green light for development, is Glen Abbey Golf Course next?
· the vast majority of the Merton lands were purchased by the Province in 1978 for passive recreation – shouldn’t that vision remain?
I am hoping the public will speak up on this important issue.
Here’s what you can do:
· read the information on my website to find out more about the landshttp://www.elgar.ca/Ward%204_
· attend the public information meeting on March 19 and voice your concerns
· spread the word to family, friends and neighbours (feel free to forward this email widely)
· let me know your thoughts on this issue by replying to this email or giving me a call (416-709-0082). I am trying to gauge the public’s opinion – some at Town Hall say the public doesn’t care.
I look forward to hearing from you, and hope that you will come to the March 19th meeting at the QE Park Community & Cultural Centre at 7:00 PM.