Oakville Toll Booths approved by Town Council

Welcome Sign
Oakville Toll Booths approved by Town Council

About the Author

April F. Ules

April was born and raised in Oakville. She attended the University of Ontario and graduated with a degree in Journalism. April has previously worked for the New Yonker and the Chicago Picayune, and is currently on assignment to Oakville News.

Latest posts (See all)

Upper Oakville Shopping Centre Christmas Promotion 2016 Breakfast with Santa

After a year of exhaustive studies and public consultations, Town Council has made the decision last night, March 31, 2016 that toll booths will be erected at all locations where vehicles will enter Oakville. They are expecting the booths to be up and running by September 1, 2017.

Transit rider advocates have been pushing hard for this program in order to ensure that they are not footing the full bill for road infrastructure projects. According to statistics provided on the town’s website one busload of passengers would take 40 cars off the road during rush hour traffic, which is equal to a line of 58 cars stretching six city blocks if traffic is moving at 40 km/h. It would also save 70,000 litres of fuel per year, taking nine tones of air pollutants our of the air.

“I constantly hear people complaining about the empty buses,” states one of Oakville transit’s main advocates Jay W. Aucker, “but no one talks about the cost of roads or if the roads are empty.”

The cost of entering Oakville will be $2.50 per entrance for family vehicles and $5.00 for trucks. Town residents will have the option of purchasing a $50.00 monthly pass or a $500 yearly pass per vehicle. The town will be using the same system that is used by ETR407, who will be responsible for implementing and running the program for the Town.

The revenue generated from this program will be used to provide Oakville residents with the best maintained road system and will allow great improvements to our current transit system.

“The town has had a long tradition of expecting users to pay for the services they use. We expect people to pay for using a recreation centre’s pool, it is about time that drivers pay for the roads they drive on. This will finally lift the burden off property taxes,” stated a Town Councillor.

For more information on this program, please visit: oakville.ca.

Subscribe for FREE and STAY informed with OakvilleNews.Org

Tags:

, , , , , ,

Readers Comments (24)

1. Jimi says:

What are the council thinking about?
    How does this work?
    Will there be a toll on the QEW so that everybody that drives through Oakville pays $2.50 each way. This is crazy.
    More info is required before this is implemented.
    What is the cost of building and maintaining the toll stations?
    Has there been a cost benefit analysis completed on this “crazy” project?
    I think a lot more information is. Needed before this comes to fruition.
    Can’t believe this council would think of this.
    Were the studies (mentioned above) published?
    I, for one would like to see them.

• Sarah says:

check out the author, it’s a joke 🙂

2. Brian says:

Wow, thats amazing, I know oakville loves there taxes but this was crazy … hopefully you got a chance to read the article in full but be sure and take note of the author when your done cursing and swearing ….

• Ty says:

Lol ya its April first folks

3. Alan says:

I think this is April Fool. Can’t be real

• Nolan Machan says:

It is an April fools piece
      Have a great day

4. David says:

Boy APRIL, you sure made FOOLS out of us

5. Michael says:

Ha love how people think this is real. Happy April fools.

6. Samantha says:

April fools?

• Nolan Machan says:

7. Ken says:

April fools!!!! hahaha

8. Joe King says:

Thanks for the great article, April F. Ules. I’m not sure the town is going far enough with the tolls, however. There should be a charge to enter Oakville for everyone, not just drivers. When people get off the GO Train or Via Rail, or walk across town boundaries from Burlington or Mississauga, there should be someone checking everyone’s ID, and if they are not from Oakville, then we should charge them a day pass. If they are planning to stay longer than a day, we ought to have renewable weekly passes. All of the proceeds can go towards things all Oakville residents deserve, such as hot and cold running champagne, gold-paved sidewalks and bike lanes, etc.

• Marie says:

I think this whole toll booth thing is wrong. You have property taxes for that. least on the QEW they can’t put a toll booth there…it’s provincial and people drive through Oakville every day. Well guess I won’t be visiting with this stupid bs idea

9. Elizabeth Turner says:

Well Done! Loved it, teehee!

10. Doug says:

The joke is already on us, 32 million to operate Oakville Transit but 60,000 in income.

11. Terry Dubois says:

Certainly made my day. Thanks for the chuckle April.

12. Electrilight Ltd says:

I am so angry right now, I am moving to Burlington and taking my company with me. 🙁

13. Anan says:

Is this April Fool ….?

If we live in Oakville, why we have to pay $500 to enter Oakville …. It’s the most stupied idea I ever heard about …

14. Anan says:

Oh god

It’s written by April F. Ules …????

15. Brian says:

What about leaving Oakville!!! April fools! Not so funny.

16. Brian McManus says:

I am glad to see people over at the Oakville news have a sense of humor, it was a great joke happy April fools!

17. Irene Wilkinson says:

Best April Fool’s Joke ever… you sure had us Pensioner’s going…. LOL

18. Marie says:

This is a really stupid idea….have property taxes to be looking after the town stuff..don’t be charging visitors
    or people just driving through. Very stupid. Least they can’t put the toll booths on the QEW since it’s provincial and they don’t have access to that lol

• Todd Wittz says:

Have these people gone completely mad?
      Have they considered the impact it’s going to have on Oakville and surrounding towns? People driving from Toronto via Oakville are going to simply stay away.
      If I work in Mississauga reside in Oakville it will cost me five dollars round-trip if I forget something or need to check on my house or my dogs it will cost me $10 a day. Limo drivers taxi drivers tow truck drivers Will all be impacted the same way never mind courier trucks ambulances taxi drivers this is insane what moronic idiot designed this idea this will not fly I will personally tear down the signs myself…I am very angry and so was my whole household this cannot go through as other people of said this is got to be an April fools joke.

%d bloggers like this: